Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Last Sick Day


Today I didn’t put on pants or a bra until after 6 pm and pretended to Spencer’s mom that I had been dressed all day.

Am I proud of that?  No.  That’s why I put on pants when I thought she might be coming.  Which she was.  High five for excellent timing and maximizing no pants time. 


Do I regret spending an entire day sans pants?  Absolutely not.


See, folks, today was that day.  The day after being sick where you’ve got one foot left in the sick door, but everything from the ankle up is completely out of the sick house.   The day where you’re still a bit off from being sick, but it’s no more than being a little more tired or achy than normal.  The day that, for every other illness in my life, I had to go back.  Back to school, back to studying, back to vacation, back to work, back to whatever it was that I had going on that day.  But today I had nothing really to go back to.  That’s the glory of being done with school and unemployed. 

Did I have a million things that I should have been doing?  Of course.  But none of those things really have a deadline. 

So instead, I spent all day snuggling with my dogs and watching terrible television at shockingly high volumes because I could.  Call it the unemployment silver lining.  It gives me an appreciation for what really is a pretty amazing situation. 

Right now, I can truly do whatever I want.  I can write a book, build a deck, reshelve the storage closet.  I can create anything at all that I want.  All of those honey-dos that I would love to do?  I have time to do them.  All those recipes I’ve been dying to try?  I can now.  All those books I’ve been meaning to read?  Read away.  I even have time to return to the video game list I’ve been compiling since junior high and obsessively hundred percent them.  That’s a goal I’ve had now for more than half my life. 

But it turns out that, when it comes right down to it, all I actually want to do when I have the time?  Dog snuggling.  Good news to have, really, because Spencer and I have snuggly dogs no matter what we try to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment